Monday, November 30, 2009

I Have A Dream....

Well to begin this post I just want to say that Foundations of Church Ministry was quite a pleasure this week, cheers to Dr. David Ernst our fine professor with a wealth of knowledge and experience. To outline the course we answered 5 main questions, What is the Church, What is the purpose of the Church, Who leads the Church, What is my contribution to the Church, and What if there are problems in my Church? If you have any questions about the course I'd be glad to answer them but for now I want to take a shift in direction and answer a question that was asked in response to my last post, "Have you had any more thoughts about what you would like to do after Kaleo"

I've given this just a bit of thought while being here and I want to tell you about a dream that has been placed in my heart. I would ask that you pray for me and where this dream has its place in my life. My dream is to walk through the world, not around it, but walk to many countries throughout the world. My why? To spend time with God, it'll be just me, Him, and His Word.

It's definitely a radical idea, one that wouldn't just take a few years. It would be a lifetime decision. I found a website about a person who did this to fulfill a childhood dream and he's looking at finishing in 18 years in the year 2010. It is a decision I don't want to make hastily and have taken about 10 weeks to mull it over since the original thought came to me on Mt. Albert-Edward. A lot of my thoughts have changed already and I am now looking at a few new questions. When I presented the idea to Jim I originally had thought that I would be an Apostle like Paul because not only would I be spending time with God but I would be telling as many people as I could about Jesus along my journey. However as Jim has taught me, an Apostle is not one who just gets up and goes but an Apostle is one who is sent.

It is thoughts such as these that are shaping where my thoughts are now drifting as I think of a world journey. Currently I am looking to answer two questions that Jim posed to me as well as doing research on people who have done something similar to what I would like to do. The first question is to find out why others have done it and the second is to find out if there are people who would send me. I'm not sure where this thought, this dream, is going to take me but I'm going to do the research, pray a whole lot, and ask you to partner with me in prayer. I would really love some feedback on this, my dream of a world journey. What are your thoughts? What are questions that you think I should be asking myself? Please join me in prayer and I can't wait to hear from you.

Love always, your dreamer,
Nick VanSnick

2 comments:

  1. Wow- thanks for telling us your dream Nick... haha, I am looking back now and remembering what your dreams were 2 years ago when I met you. I can really see how God has been working in your life over the past year, especially during your time at Kaleo.

    I agree that apostles are people who are sent. A few weeks ago, Don Smith came to TMP (aka Paul) and brought a new person along (aka Timothy). Before they came, Gary gave a couple of messages about apostolic ministry- they are online and I encourage you to listen to them. These people were sent by the church to bring teaching, encouragement, and leadership, and insight into the church here. They are kind of like Fathers in a way. I know that this is a bit different from what you are thinking of, but the idea of being sent still applies.
    If this is something that you are considering, I would also suggest finding a mentor (like Timothy had). Relationships are so central to apostolic ministry- relationships with those who send you and with those you are sent too.
    I will be praying for you as you continue to ponder and pray about your dream of a world journey.
    Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks! Hope all of your final papers go well. (I write my first final today before classes are done).

    PS I almost forgot to tell you that I applied for an exchange program next year... it will be either Finland, Austria, or Sweden. I am glad that I do not have to make the final decision about the place I will attend :P They all sound so wonderful!

    All the best!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my latest email from Nanny:

    Well Nick, this has taken me some time to think about and what I should say. A part of me ( the Nanny in me) wants to bring up the mundane things of this world....Like money ( always seem to need that) and what happens when you meet the right lady and want to tie the knot....of course back to money again.However you are young and it certainly would be a great time ( I expect tough at times ). Just think of all that you would see and experience. I certainly can offer my prayers but due to my situation not much else except I can root for you. As you think this through and if you decide it is what you want, go for it, so many don't do things they want just what they think everyone else wants. If there is anything I have regretted in my life it would be not doing the things I wanted but doing what was "expected" of me. Whatever decision you make I am sure God will be with you all the way.

    love you
    Nanny

    ReplyDelete