This was definitely a week to appreciate those little random times that happen through out life. Frankly that's what this week was, just a bunch of little things that needed to be done.
Everyone was stoked for this week because it was our reading break. There were a few people who left but most of us stayed here at Qwanoes for the week so that we could get some much needed work done on the Hermeneutics major paper that was due this past Friday. Also many of us realized that our Old Testament pre-course work needed to be done as well. So much of the week was dedicated to studying Romans 8:37-39 and reading many chapters of the Old Testament. However when those times came to drain the brain there was several opportunities. Going shopping in Duncan as well as rec-night at a local gym in Crofton were lots of fun to bond and hang out. One of our best evenings was Thursday when we were able to go out for a 'Song and a Story' with Adrian Plass and Glen Soderholm. It was definitely an entertaining evening with a bit of British humor.
While having a chill week was really great, things really ramped up this past weekend where I went to a Youth Retreat with the St. Andrews Youth Group. It was definitely a weekend of bonding with the teens and I definitely count it a privilege to be a leader at this church. From chapel worship times to group discussions on dating as well as a pretty epic soccer game in the rain, we had a sweet time.
I found myself again this week enthralled by the opportunity to do some prayer walking and hang out with the homeless people in Duncan. While we were praying for Duncan at the end of our evening we had a guy (his name is Samuel) come and randomly join us. We prayed and at the end of the prayer he was just so excited that people would come together as a community. He was drunk at the time he said it but Shane, the pastor heading up this ministry, talked to us later about how being in that state can reflect the true nature of the person. It burdens me to think that there are probably many more 'Samuels' who are seeking that aspect of community but it just doesn't exist for them. My prayer is that our ministry on Sunday nights will bring a hope to the people like Samuel.
And finally I come to the end of my blog and I apologize if it's a little scattered. There's been a lot of little things that have happened this week. However I think that there has been one theme that has really been on my heart this week - Grace. I have been coming to the realization that my whole life has been filled with grace; the talents I have, the opportunities I have had, places I've been, people I've met and been able to get to know. I don't deserve any of it yet God has time and time again blessed me. It spurs me on to find every opportunity I can to show grace to others and to be gracious in all I do. So I want to put my heart closer to yours and ask you about your experiences with grace. What does grace look like to you?
Well I have some Old Testament work to do, by the way class was totally sweet today, so I hope everyone has a great week because I think that I'm going to have one. Love ya all,
Nick VanSnick
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
bahaha- so glad that you got to see Adrian Plass! He was in Moncton a month ago- I didn't get to go, but my parents did. I have read a couple of his books though- pretty cool stuff.
ReplyDeleteWhat does Grace look like to me? It looks like an 11 year old sister who still screams with horror at the thought of ham for supper :P
In all seriousness, to me, the Grace of God is revealed in those moments like I had yesterday when suddenly He seems a little bigger in my eyes.
"Every year you grow you will find me bigger."
-C.S. Lewis
No matter how much you grow in Christ, learn about him, and realize how you need his forgiveness, his love is so much bigger-that is what I think is so amazing about Grace.
Did your team win the soccer game? How does working with teens now compare to your experiences this summer at camp?
I only have one midterm left and am super happy that we have a day off tomorrow (though I still have to come to school and meet with a bunch of people). (PS , have you been getting my emails? )
Anything in specific you would like prayer about this week?
Hope you have a great week- good luck with all of those papers:)
Chris said,
ReplyDeleteI was at Song and Story too when it was in Moncton - but I guess you know that because Becca beat me to the punch.
Did Adrian mention how many sponsorships they raised on their tour?
To answer Becca, yes I have been getting your emails. I've just been in a rut of "I'll do it next time I'm free." Sorry I haven't responded.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately my team got schooled at soccer but that's ok because we had less players :P
As for the teens, I see a much different crowd out here than I did in New Brunswick. There is definitely a much stronger sense of community here and it is evident in how the teens treat each other. However they have all grown up with each other. I also am finding myself in a much different role, being their friend. I learned a lot about the relational aspect of leadership in the summer and now that my role has changed from 'head' to 'regular' I find that very useful knowledge and wisdom.
As for prayer requests, please begin praying for the Olympics as everything is coming together now and we are going to have team meetings soon.
To answer you Chris, Adrian didn't mention how many sponsorships they have raised. Though I imagine that it has been quite a few since he started on your end of the country.