Well my friends, I simply must say that this week has been quite eclectic. We started with an Olympic meeting then had two days of class with an exam for our missions course squeezed in there. Then the week ended with all the full time staff leaving us Kaleo's and our Kaleo sitters (past Kaleo students Nikki Parker and Tyler Cassidy) all on our lonesome for the weekend. All the while we have been working feverishly (not) on our homework that is becoming more and more due as time goes by. So where to start my adventures.... I guess where most of my thoughts have been this week, camp.
For the two days of class we have had this week we have taken Camp Ministry with none other than our fearless leader, Jim Badke. I must say that I have been impressed to learn things such as camp being God's idea as well as the importance of having a well developed leadership/staff team. I could not help but think of my experiences this past summer at camp and relating every word Jim said in lecture to my experiences. Then again in our discussion groups I was able to gain more knowledge from my fellow students about their camps back home. Camp is truly an amazing place to be, but as we learned it is a place that cannot be lived in forever. It is a place of refueling or preparation for the rest of the world, kind of like a diving board. We do not build our house on the end of a diving board, we use it to launch ourselves into the rest of life. I must say that it was exciting to hear the words of wisdom from this camp veteran.
I want to briefly mention the awesome adventure Nikki Parker and I had as we went searching for Tyler on Friday night. You see, Tyler went to lock up the camp then about an hour later (12:30AM or so) we realized he wasn't back. Naturally, Nikki feared for his life. Another piece of background is that sometime last week, when a few of the girls went for a night walk, they saw a cougar who was apparently stalking them. So Nikki and I set out with Roscoe (Claire's dog) and a large umbrella as a weapon to search for Tyler. We searched and searched but no Tyler, so when we returned we just happened to think to check out the house behind the dorm and lo and behold he had been there the whole time. Oh well, I had fun cougar hunting, I mean looking for Tyler :P
Homeless ministry this evening was also another highlight. We ran into one of the guys that we have seen a few times. Dave is his name. It was good to catch up with him after being gone for the break. We asked him about the new shelter that was put up and he said that he managed to get a room in there. We were pleased to hear that. We were slightly disappointed that there weren't as many people out tonight to talk with but we were glad to get some prayer walking done too.
It was after our downtown session and headed back to Shane's house for a debrief that the mood got quite heavy. Shane brought up the idea that usually there are two types of people in the world. The first live for the moment and don't think too much about the future. The other is the opposite, always planning for the future. However there are problems with each stance, if we always are planning our days out, are we leaving room for God to do miracles in our life? On the other hand, if we are always living in the moment, how are we helping God set up our future? Just two thoughts to think about, I know that often I can think too much about the future and not live enough in the moment. It's funny that Shane brought this up because this is something I have been thinking about and wrestling with.
So I want to turn it over to you, where do stand? Are you planning out every step of your way or are you too loose with your plans each day? Where do you think the balance is?
Anyway, I hope that's enough food for thought for now. I know it is for me, I need to get some sleep because we have our big snowboarding/ski trip this week. That might be good for you to know, I won't be around this week because of that, send me your messages anyway and I'll look forward to reading them next weekend.
Love ya,
Nick
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment