Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Oh Baby It's Here!! Vancouver 2010 Here We Come! .........oh yeah Theology too.....

Well I have two major things I want to share with you this week, Theology and the Olympics. It's been a rather happening place around here over the past week with having our Theology course and trying to get as much homework done as possible before we leave for the Olympics. We don't want to have to worry as much about school work because some of our shifts are pretty crazy and may, or may not, allow for as much sleep time as we would like. If you want to check out what my schedule is like click the link over there on the right -> You know, right there with the little 'Check this out!' sign, yeah that one. That's one example, but anyway before we delve too far into Olympic material I have a frustration to vent and want to get your thoughts.

So our course this week was Theology which is the study of God. It's derived from the Greek word 'Theos' meaning God and 'Logos' meaning speech. So the idea is that we talk about God. Which got me pretty excited. This was the one course that I had gotten really excited for because Theology is what we think about, well, when we talk about God. I must say I was quite interested during our first part of our lectures when we talked about Theology being the bridge between Scripture and culture. I quite agreed with that. However from there my attention span went down hill until our very last topic of the week. It just seemed that many of the issues we talked about (Calvinism and Arminianism, Young Earth and Old Earth, etc.) were almost non-essential to a good foundation in Christianity. Which frustrated me a lot. These issues were hot topics and we even watched a two hour debate on Calvinism vs. Arminianism. The only thing that I had trouble with was connecting a lot of these issues to real life. It seemed that only scholars and academics care about certain issues. However we did cover some good material at the end of the course dealing with sin and the nature of humanity that was very interesting. Anyway, now that I have vented a little I'd love to know what your thoughts on Theology are. Perhaps you can give me some incite as to the relevance of certain issues or maybe some experience that you have had with the subject. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

And now back over to Jimmy with Sports...... ha ha, no, not funny, oh well, I thought it was. I'm really stoked right now about going to the Olympics it's hard to believe that there is only 14 hours and 56 minutes until we leave to head on our way at O'Dark Hundred (6:15) tomorrow morning. Everyone is either packing, doing laundry, or trying to get some last minute research done to be ready in time. Actually I need to go check my laundry, just wait a sec..........Alright we're all good, now I can pack. In the comments part of my last blog post I started talking about what our role will be at the Olympics. Our position that we have is called host and we could be doing a number of things from guiding people to their seats, assisting at security check points, or yelling at people to move..... I mean directing people with a megaphone as to the direction of certain venues. (I hope that it was evident that part of that last sentence was a joke). The largest part of the job is talking with people, being kindly to them, and assisting in anyway we can. This is such an amazing opportunity to just be YELLING Jesus at people without using our voices. However when we do speak we want to be ready to tell them why we are serving (1 Peter 3:15-16). I would ask that you pray for us everyday from now until February 28 as it will only be by the working of the Holy Spirit that this ministry trip will bear fruit; we ourselves cannot ordain conversations and actions that will touch someone in their heart. Please pray.

Well, I do need to try and get some work done myself. I'm a little behind seeing as I was supposed to post this yesterday (Sorry Kristie). I also still need to pack and make sure I have everything, which I can now do since my laundry is done. So for now I will say see ya later, but I'll try and blog while I'm at the Olympics to give you an update, I do have a few days off.
This is Nick VanSnick signing off.

Love ya,
Nick
14hours and 38minutes till departure :)

2 comments:

  1. hey,
    thought I would reply here, though it is really in response to your last email.
    how are things going at Whistler? Have you had any good/meaningful conversations with anyone?
    I have been watching the olympics all week... are you able to see any of the events, or are you sleeping anytime that you are not volunteering? :P
    I hope that your week is going well despite the long hours :D
    Galatians 6:9

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I finally have a chance to reply. It's been another crazy week and I just came off of a 6 day stretch of volunteering. However I must say that it was a really good week.
    The day after our 'hump day' there were so many answers to prayer and so many people had new stories to tell. Just check the main blog (http://kaleoseven.blogspot.com) under the title "Soaring on Wings Like Eagles"
    One story in particular from yesterday comes from an elderly woman who has been my team leader several times. I was doing my job as an access monitor as usual and she comes over to me with a big smile which I return and says, "Nick, why are you so nice?" I replied, "Well, I love to serve." She then said with an even bigger smile, "You know, you do, and it shows."

    We are the light of the world, nothing shines brighter than Jesus Christ.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete