Sunday, April 4, 2010

Up, Down, Up, Down, A Week of Many Experiences

I think, therefore I am.... Or not, as we learned in class this week. I must say that this week was one with many highs, lows, and good times. We had our final class, Christian Worldview, this past week as well as a few adventures throughout the week. And because I have nothing else witty to say for this little introduction I shall move onward to the meat of this blog, enjoy!
I had mixed feelings going into our final course this week. I was originally excited for the course before it began but then after doing the pre-course work I was disappointed. So I blindly went into this course not really sure what to expect. It turned out to be mostly a philosophy course which I wasn't half bad but some of the concepts we discussed in class were very abstract thought and was difficult to wrap my head around. We discussed modernism, post-modernism, and then how a Christian should see the world. It was intriguing to see historically how North America has come to think the way that it does. It was also really good to see how I have been shaped by our culture and what our culture values. I have seen many aspects of our North American value system that are flawed and as we learned in class that lead mainly to violence. So amongst the late nights doing assignments and the difficult concepts I did learn things through class and will hopefully learn more as time passes.
We also had an amazing Easter weekend, beginning it as Jesus did about two-millennium ago, with a traditional passover dinner. Our kind Kaleo leaders put together a traditional Jewish passover, complete with many of the traditions that are normally found at a passover dinner. It was a fun and culturally enriching (or at least as culturally enriching as you can get with 3o Caucasians doing a Jewish tradition). Some of the highlights were lamb, breaking bread(matzah), saying prayers in Hebrew, and taking communion together.
After a long week of class we enjoyed ourselves with a relaxing Friday evening at Jim's house where Tim, Bob, Jim, and I played Rook (a card game) till 10:30 at night because we each kept on trying to bring the winners score down so that it made it nearly impossible to win. Then on Saturday a large group of us went to the neighboring Salt Spring Island to go to the market and chill for the day. It was a chill day and I had some of the best Thai noodles that I've ever had in my life. (Mom, remind me to learn how to cook Thai food this summer while I'm home). So after some chill times at Salt Spring we came back to camp and watched The Passion. It was a good way to continue our Easter weekend.
Now today is Sunday and I am preparing for a sweet week praying, white water kayaking, and finishing my final two assignments. So in the spirit of prayer I would ask that you pray for me, I am looking for a summer job and am having trouble finding opportunities on the internet. I hope that all of you have a great week, I know that I will be making the best of mine as there are now only 12 days left of Kaleo and I'm doing my best to make the most of every minute.
Love ya,

Nick VanSnick

No comments:

Post a Comment