Monday, November 2, 2009

Should I Start This Blog Off With A Question...

This week has truly cycled through all different emotions this week. Good, bad, ugly, really ugly, stress, bonding, joy, and a lot of thoughtfulness. From hanging out with God at the blowhole in Ucluelet to staying up till 2AM twice in the same night finishing a paper this week has been one of growth for sure.

I'm not quite sure how to describe our surf trip. The first day was a lot of driving with a few stops to see the sights like at a huge forest with 800 year old trees and a waterfall/rapids for lunch. But I think my favorite part about our Monday excursion was going to the 'blowhole' when we arrived in Ucluelet. The water shot quite high but I think that this picture is definitely a much more valuable sight. It was a good time to sit in the presence of God. It was definitely some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.
On Tuesday we were able to go surfing. We watched some of the pro's in the morning then tried it out in the afternoon and I must say that I admire what they can do, because I wasn't even able to stand up :P However it was definitely a great memory to have the waves crashing over us in our really tight wetsuits. I was even able to claim a ferocious battle scar as I took a tumble in the waves and got a surf board in the face. The best part was that it really didn't hurt because my face was exposed and the water was frigid. It was definitely one of the most intense things I've ever done and I can't wait for another chance at it. Wednesday was a pretty good day except that I was feeling sick but I did teach myself the notes on guitar to an old lullaby my Mom used to sing to me so over all it was a profitable day.

The rest of the week was a very stressful one. I had 4 days and a major paper to write, the problem - every time I tried to figure out what to write on my arguments didn't hold through because of my supporting evidence. I was very frustrated and almost ready to give up, then with a little advice from Jim I started writing and by 2AM the second time on Sunday morning I had a paper. I found it very strange to have to write a paper that I was not entirely satisfied with the topic because I wasn't quite sure it was what the prof was looking for. However I wrote it anyway and now I'm on to even more papers that I need to work on. I did something that was imperfect and to be honest, it felt good.

Now I want to go back to the beginning of this blog in regards to this thought. I have been thinking a lot about questions and I think that in order to be truly wise I need to start asking questions, so I'd like to ask you a question, how do you deal with the problem of perfection? I know I defaulted to despair before I talked with Jim as things looked bleak but I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, or other things I've mentioned. Sometimes I feel like I'm just talking at you, I'd love to hear back from you about what's going on in the world I'm not in right now.

So for now I will again say farewell, Love ya all,
Nick VanSnick

4 comments:

  1. I got an email from becca and I thought I would post her words:
    The problem of perfection... What problem? I am perfect! Just kidding, that is a big one for me too. Something I have really been learning about this year is priorities. TO go to prayer meeting even though that is an extra couple of hours I could have studied, and to not worry if I didn't get 100% on my exam the next day. But then there are things like my chem lab that don't work no matter how hard I try-it is not a matter of choosing to invest my time elsewhere. I do find that it is really humbling, but makes me think about what REALLY matters. In the whole course of the universe, God's will will be accomplished whether or not I get a 4.3 gpa. He doesn't need me to be perfect at everything to be able to use me. He is just asking that I do my best. But the most important thing is taking the time to sit at his feet and listen.
    - becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another email I received, this one is from Phil:

    Hey Nick,

    I'm super impressed with your emails/blog entries. I should be writing like that to my supporters. You put me to shame. Good for you. It's also good that you're seeing the power of a question; Jesus knew that power "Who do you say I am?"

    On another note, I met a christian author from BC this past weekend and he's written some sweet books on helping people see the big picture through the scriptures. Has anyone there mentioned John Cross or his books "Stranger on the road to Emmaus" or "By This Name"? It is a phenomenal book to help christians and non-christians answer questions like "What is God's name? Why did Jesus really have to die? What does it mean to believe?

    Carpe Diem, my friend
    -Phil “the Nav guy” Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick,
    Love your blog, it's great to hear how things are going for you. As for your question this week, I think it is a good one, I felt I had to comment, for what it's worth.
    Contrary to popular belief, I am not perfect either. But I feel all we can do is try to get as close to perfect as humanly possible for us. And that will be a different place for each of us. All we can do is listen to God, and follow his guidance, and hope we hear him correctly.
    It sounds like you are having a great experience there! God Bless You, and keep you!
    Hope to see you when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got another email today, this one's from Nanny:

    Hi Nick just wanted you to know I enjoy and look forward to your blogs, they are sooo interesting and tho You probably have lots of work it appears it is intermingled well with fun too. keep them coming they are very enjoyable.

    Keep up the good work
    love
    Nanny

    ReplyDelete