It's hard to think that any time has passed in this past week. Things just flowed so smoothly that from one end to the other I've just been living out my life. I guess that just has something to do with Merrill's teaching style.
This week's class was Hermeneutics which is the study of interpretation. And what was it that we were interpreting - the Bible! It's sometimes hard to think that the Bible is anything more than a 'spiritual book' but really it's a collection of history that has a lot of value for our souls. This means we need to read it with the proper lenses. From context, which is what the authors point of view was 2000 years ago, to genre, which is the style of writing like parables and narratives, there was a lot to be learned. Though I think that my favorite part of the week was going and asking a question of Merrill during the week on one of our night assignments. I asked my question, he answered and then we chatted for 20 minutes. I've never thought of a professor who would want to just sit and chat, none of my profs last year did that anyway. I was really blown away by Merrill's openness and willingness to challenge us in ways we may have not been challenged in before. To end the class we were in groups that had to do a presentation on a book of the Bible we have been studying. My book was James and we ended up doing a video which was a lot of fun to create but required just a little bit more effort (as in 4 in the morning effort). Maybe we could have been a bit more organized. I'll try and get it and post it sometime later in the week so you can take a look at something we did this week because I don't have any pics for you guys.
Now to the weekend, I was able to counsel six, 9 year old boys at our juniors retreat. They had so much energy and wanted to have fun all the time, which we did. From crazy games to the swimming pool to working at the 80ft zipline the weekend was really fun. To top it off, we had a message of hope which was well put on by the speaker.
Then tonight put the cherry on it all, we had a great time in the rain hanging out with homeless people and doing prayer walks. After we had a potluck and devotion on intercessory prayer. It is a blessing to be able to serve with those that I am beginning to love (my fellow Kaleo's).
Now that the week is over and I get ready to head out surfing for the next 3 days as well as come up with a thesis and write paper that's due in a week I'm beginning to feel that time really hasn't moved a whole lot. It just feels as if I am living, and I wonder if this is the kind of feeling that I will have when everything is over and I spend eternity with God. It's a thought to ponder I guess, maybe it's us that move and time really stands still.
Love ya,
Nick VanSnick
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment