This week seems just like a huge blur. It all started after our beautiful Thanksgiving dinner on Monday night when we were told that our surf trip was to be canceled for this week. So what were we to do.... Caving! Tuesday morning we went up to Horne Lake near Nanaimo for a bit of a caving excursion. Basically this is what they looked like:
After that excursion we went to Coombs and to a market that was referred to as "Goats on a Roof". Guess why... They had goats on their roof. It was kinda funny. The coolest part was that we met Rev, the guy who played guitar outside of Coombs for eight years. He shared his music with us and Tim even got to share some of our music with him. Now that I think about it, this experience was kind of a foreshadow of what came later in the week.
Trent and Rev (Left to Right)
After our excursions on Tuesday, Wednesday was a bit of a down day to do homework and study. However the pace picked up again on Thursday with DTG. That is Ditch the Genders. The guys had a guys night and the girls a girls night. We played ice hockey, grounders, and ultimate frisbee on Thursday afternoon which was really epic. Then we went to Jim's for steak and a few of us stayed up till 12:30 playing Rook which was pretty sweet. "And in the morning, I'm making waffles" was a true statement for us as we all awoke to the beautiful smell of homemade waffles, courtesy of Jim and Justin.
Which brings me pretty much to tonight. Today was just a very powerful day. This morning in church Kerry, our pastor, and his wife, Jan, shared very personally from their heart a little bit of what they are experiencing and how they are changing. It is really cool to see that our pastor is just as vulnerable as us and that he isn't some perfect person. It was a time of great bonding between the congregation and Kerry and Jan.
Then there was tonight. It was a night that is hard to describe but put simply, I got to talk to near homeless people in downtown Duncan. To be able to just love on people, pray, and talk to people for about an hour. I enjoyed being able to join a ministry that had already been started. It is a ministry that the young adults from a church in the area run to just pray and let the Holy Spirit work while they play guitar and talk to people. I really saw a heart for the poor in the souls of this group that is contagious. I am now looking forward to going back next week to hang out and talk to people like Albert, whom I met.
This week is a class week, Hermeneutics. Which is the study of interpretation. So interpret the Bible this week we shall. I'll give you an update at the end of the week on how it went. Also next weekend is the Juniors Retreat (9-11 year olds) that I will be helping by being a Counsellor. Please pray that I will be an effective example for Christ throughout the weekend as well as for the homeless in Duncan that they will have a receptive heart to the grace of Christ.
Now I need to get some sleep, morning comes quickly.
Your ever studious,
Nick VanSnick
PS Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment